Sunday, April 11, 2010

Trompe l'oeil - Final project for my painting 1 class

I am coming up on finals, and am on the last project for this semester.  I have to paint a trompe l'oeil painting.  Trompe L'oeil means to trick the eye.  I am attempting to paint the backside of a canvas frame onto the front side of another.  I have started the foundation work.  I will need to paint on wood grain, staples, hook-eye and wire, and a piece of tape attached to the wire.  I must try and make it look as real as possible. I am putting up photos of the first step: foundation.  I have established the frame, the color and texture of the interior canvas color - specks and all.  I now have to do all of the other steps listed above.  We have 3 weeks to get it done.  Once the wood grain is in place, I will attach hooks and wire, with tape attached to the real frame, and then paint it onto the faux one.  I will try and get it as real as possible.  I'm not sure how the wire part will work.


Obviously, mine is the one on the right, but it looks pretty good for not having any of the wood grain or staples done.  I will post the finished product, even if it turns out terrible.  We can all learn from mistakes.

2 comments: