Tuesday, March 23, 2010

If you set the bar too high ...

I am extremely frustrated by being punished for having an "A" type work ethic when it comes to projects and assignments.  I set the bar extremely high for myself and try with all effort to meet and exceed it.  But then the instructors grade me harsher than those that just phone it in!  Should I then take the path of least resistance, step back from putting out my best work?  Should I become mediocre in a world "full" of "good enough" mentality. I don't think each time the grade scale should become more difficult based on how much more I can push the project.  It should be based on 1. were the requirements laid out met, 2. whether the work was well composed.  I think sometimes I should just do okay on my work, turn it in, don't set any expectations for the instructors and then "wow" them at the end - like suddenly I showed great improvement !   It would be better if I was a wide-eyed naive person that never picked up a brush or had an idea in her head- then they could mold me- Nah!!!  I'll keep truckin'  -  I have at least 2 more years of work ahead, I'll just have to find some kind of middle ground to relieve some of the pressure I put on myself and that the instructors have placed on me.  I have chosen to double major - Art Education and Painting. (we'll see).   I want to apply for an MFA program, but let's see if I have anything left in me once I finish out my BFA.

2 comments:

  1. I hate instructors who are like that. Why should you be punished for trying your best at something you really care about. It's like if this is your passion and you care about it and practice so maybe you are better than some people, you are looked down upon because you actually take it seriously. i definitely feel for you and hope you are able to find that middle ground. what I've had to do is just kind of not think about it so much. it's sad that maybe I shouldn't put as much effort into it as I could just to get out of the class with a good grade because I won't grow and learn as much as I possibly could, but if that's what it takes than i guess, that's what it is gonna have to be.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for your thoughts and input - greatly appreciated! I am really working on that middle ground, but I get so discouraged at times. Plus, I have been at this for soooooooooo long. You will definitely have to do stuff outside of school to grow as an artist. The education part of it is to get your "ticket" punched and move on from there.

    ReplyDelete