Monday, March 29, 2010

Vanitas Painting-painting I class

We had to paint a Vanitas painting.  It deals with the idea of passing time, the frailty of life... skulls, bubbles, burned out candles.  I decided to make a contemporary stab at it.  I chose to use an old toothpaste tube, old used up toothbrush, and a bottle of nearly empty pills.  I liked the idea of the bright contemporary colors next to old world ideas and old world earth tones.

The first picture is the underpainting using black and white on a burnt sienna base, leaving the mid-tones the base color.

The second image is of the "finished" painting, for the amount of time we have between each project, this is as finished as it will get.  I like my bubbles... taught myself by reading books and looking at other paintings.  The photo warps it just a bit - kind of fish bowl looking, but it's really hard to photograph.


4 comments:

  1. it looks like you've been keeping busy. you have a ton of stuff! i really like this one. i love the colors and the whole creepy restroom vibe it has. haha. what is the purpose of doing the under painting?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, I can never do "old" traditional themes. I like that- it should be the title - "Creepy Restroom Vibe"! The underpainting for the Vanitas bulked up the foundation, so that less paint was applied- not quite glazing. kind of in between. For the apples, the underpainting is really important to render as fully as possible the image, that way the glazing is merely layers of color added in really thin coats. I am currently on my third glazing layer - I will be back-and-forth all weekend. The painting is due on Thursday (ouch). I can't wait to approach underpainting, glazing and apply it to portrait painting - flesh should be interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  3. ok that makes sense. definitely seems like a long process. i am taking painting next semester so this gives me an idea of what i'll probably be in for.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You'll like the class! It is fast paced though! We are working on a Trompe l'oeil painting for our final project.

    ReplyDelete