Tuesday, March 30, 2010

"It's Not Something I'd Hang on My Wall"- E.A Hennig

This is a project that I am currently working on in watercolor class - Plein Air.  It has taken me many hours, and I had to sit in and amongst all the things I'm allergic to for hours at a time: plants, grass, pollen etc.  It had rained on one occasion the day prior to our painting out of doors, so I sat on a plastic garbage bag on the ground.  It's a difficult task to carry your art supplies, art board, paint case and traverse the campus, looking for the "perfect" spot - doesn't exist.  I was with a classmate ( one of the sweetest people I have met outside of Eddy and his Mom ) and told her to pick the spot, and that I'll paint anything structural just not flowers, trees shrubs!  After much indecision, she picked some Lilies, I was happy we landed.  I picked a portion of the building in front of me.  It's not a very good painting, but it was a true attempt on my part to capture the lesson ideas:  Show temperature in your painting, represent warm and cool; it can be in local color or exaggerated.  I chose to represent a more "local color" (things the way they actually appear), but my instructor felt it too boring, so I had to heighten the intensity of the blues.  Eddy's response, "It's not something I'd hang on my wall."  ( he will go down in history with this comment )-laughing now.  He is my biggest and faithful fan, but he is also as honest as they come, tough on an artist at anytime, but always accepted - after a little pouting and stewing!!!  Eddy is however my favorite critic, and I agree with him- this is not something I will hang on my wall; it will go in the pile of "projects" hidden away in a portfolio case, deep in the recesses of a closet.  But it was an honest attempt!!





This is actually just portions of the painting.  There was a lot of piping seen at the top of the painting, and then a portion of a window that had stuff in the background and then reflected stuff.  Then there was a lot of water and dirt that had washed down the facade.  Remember cool and warm exaggerated!

No comments:

Post a Comment